Sunday, January 2, 2011

Mantra

Well so far, so good. According to my schedule, I was to do strength training today. Part of my pre-marathon training is to strengthen not just my legs but my upper body and core. Even though it seems like running is all in the legs, the best runners train their whole body.

When you have upper body strength and good core strength, you can go longer and stronger on your runs. It’s great also to prevent injury. I was so focused last season on just getting the distance down that I didn’t feel like I could take on the strength training too. So now is the time. I have a good base fitness and it’s time to take it up a notch.

After a warm up walk I did one circuit of about 10 exercises. Prior to my first marathon season I was strength training regularly and would do about three circuits each time. I was exhausted after just one circuit! Ugh! I have to work my way back again.

Keeping up the strength and marathon training is going to be tough! But I think it’s going to be worth it!

When I was in the shower after the work out today, I found myself leaning against the shower wall with my eyes closed. I was so tired! And the warm water felt great!

I started thinking how a mantra would help me get through the fatigue. In fact, the TNT coaches recommended it last season. But I never got around to creating one. (I think I was too busy trying to breath and keep my feet moving). But as I was thinking about it in the shower I remembered a great song I learned at church. It was short and had a tune that was fun. It would be perfect for my mantra. It goes a little something like this:

I am free
I am unlimited
I have no chains that bind me
I am free
I am unlimited
Right now!

That’s my mantra for 2011!

No comments: