Monday, January 18, 2010

Nice Holiday!

Today we had Monday off of work and I woke up to a rain storm. I love rain and I miss the thunderstorms from my mid-west childhood. So I was thrilled to have a rainy day off.

The wind soon kicked up and a full on storm was raging. That's when my husband decided to take the dog to Bishop's Peak in San Luis Obispo for a hike. He invited me but I wanted to stay home and take advantage of the rainy day to read the latest Harry Potter book.

Besides, I hiked 6 miles on Saturday and took the dog for a walk in the rain just yesterday. (My bike ride got rained out and I wanted to get some exercise anyway). So I thought I deserved a break.

I had the time of my life curled up on the couch with the cats reading. Then the house shook and everything loose in the yard started blowing around. I looked outside and everything was absolutely grey. Then the power went out.

No worries. That just meant I didn't have to do laundry, or cook or run the dishwasher. So I went back to reading. The wind continued to blow and the rain came down in sheets. I remembered my husband and dog were climbing a mountain.

I called my husband not sure he would get reception and he answered on the second ring. I half expected him to tell me that it was too stormy to climb when he got there and he decided to stop in a dog friendly pub for a pint instead. But no. My husband said they were almost at the top and they were both doing fine. I could hear the wind blowing in the background.

My husband was in his element. He was fine. Dog was fine. I curled back up on the couch and kept reading....

No comments: