Thursday, December 11, 2008

Last Run in California

Well tonight was my last run in California for a couple weeks. I'll be flying out to Iowa for Christmas. There is a chance I could catch a decent run in LAX because I have an hour and a half layover. However, this would be very cruel to who ever is my seat mate from LA to Denver. Not sure I should do that.

Once we touch down in Des Moines, play time is over. Running will become suddenly very serious. Have you ever ran in sub-zero temperatures? Yeah, I didn't think so. Me either. Like I said in a previous post, no one runs in the winter in Ia except that one guy. And I imagine he is much better out fitted than me! I only have two pairs of full length leggings and only one pair is lined. That pair happens to be a hand-me-down from my dad who, of course, lives in Iowa!

I'm bringing my ski clothes so I'll have good thick gloves and stocking caps. I've asked my mom to see if she can find me a dust mask. Believe me, you do not want to go out in a Iowa winter without covering your face. It will freeze. That's why you wear scarves. Except scarves get really soggy when you breath through them. Imagine someone who is breathing HEAVY through them. Yuck! The dust mask is a much better option.

So I have my head, face, and fingers covered. But I haven't figured out what to do about my feet. I have two or three pairs of wool socks. I hope that's enough. But I think I need to count on my feet getting wet. I thought about running in my snow boots. But that's really stupid! So I am hoping the running for 30 minutes in damp shoes won't be long enough to get blisters and that the running will warm my body enough to avoid hypothermia and frostbite. We'll see.

Wish me luck. Come back and check out how it goes.

No comments: