Friday, February 11, 2011

Forgotten Marathon Moments #3: It Hurts When I Sleep

The other day I was at a reunion of sorts with the TNT teams. It was the first time I had seen my fellow runners and coaches since the marathon.

A couple of us were swapping post-marathon stories when Lauren said: “Oh, and it hurt so bad just to turn over in bed!”

“Yes!” we all cried. I had forgotten about that! After the marathon, I laid in bed on my back. That was fine until in the middle of the night my body finally said, “Ok, time to shift position.”

As I tried to turn over, I noticed first that my legs weren’t going to move on their own to help propel my body over. Then I realized that to move my legs at all was going to be painful. But my body couldn’t stand being on its back any more.

With a Herculean effort, I rolled my upper body to the left and used my hips to roll my legs over with me. UhAahhhhhhhhh! I moaned. (Luckily I didn’t wake up Kris).

Why am I doing another marathon?? I think it’s like childbirth. It hurts a lot, but you forget the pain quickly and the result brings you a lifetime of joy.

No comments: