Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Bucket List

You've heard a lot about 'bucket lists' recently and I sat down this week to think of my bucket list. I could only think of three items that I really wanted to accomplish before I die and I only came up with three things: 

Complete a century ride. 
Complete a marathon.
Write a book 

That's it. Not many things and nothing that'll change the world. Heck, nothing that would mean anything to anyone but me. I don't know what I think about that. Does it mean I'm just very content with my life or just really shallow, or really boring? Hhhhhm. 

There's other things I would love to do but don't have it on the list because it seems  absolutely impossible (bring about world peace for example or break my addiction to sugar). I don't want to spend my whole life longing for something that will never be. Don't Buddhists say "Desire brings suffering?" (I know my desire to complete a marathon has brought suffering! But to be honest it's also brought a lot of growth and joy). 

So I don't know. Maybe it's ok to just leave it be. 

No comments: